Friday, July 14, 2006

'Twas a fine night for stargazing...


Ever since I can remember, I've had a love for astronomy. Looking into the sky on a clear night gives me goose bumps and a feeling wells up inside of me that I can't quite put into words. As a little girl, it was my dream to become an astronomer. Well, that obviously didn't happen, but my love for astronomy has never gone away. Tonight the Modine Benstead Observatory held an open house and I went to check it out. I've been wanting to attend one of these public viewings for quite some time. It sure didn't disappoint. When I first arrived, they were looking at Jupiter. It was quite a sight. You could actually see the colored bands across the surface of the planet. You could also make out several of its moons, most notably Io. I chatted with an old-timer named Ron for quite some time. He was actually one of the original members who helped put together the telescope used at the observatory. He was a wealth of knowledge and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him. He helped me spot constellations such as Hercules, Scorpio, Draco and the Summer Triangle, which contains one of the brightest stars in the night sky, Vega. After viewing Jupiter for awhile, they adjusted the telescope to focus on M13, which is located in the constellation Hercules. Wow. There are over 100,000 stars in this spot in the sky, almost 25,000 light years away. It was incredible. The observatory was very cool, in fact, I'm seriously considering becoming a member. It's only $45 a year. You even get a chance to learn how to use the telescope! I figure it would be a good way to satisfy my thirst for all things astronomy, and at the same time contribute dues to a worthy cause.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

I'm glad you had a good time babes. Sorry I couldn't come.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time. I'm glad your still finding new intrests. MOON

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great, Nikki. I wish I could've made it, thanks for the invite. I, too, have always had a love of the stars...maybe that's why I ended up in physics. You *should* become a member, after I read your comment about playing with the telescope, I thought about it, too!!!

Shan

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember how as a little girl you loved looking at the stars during our campfires at the lake. I was so glad to tell about what I knew about the stars. Now maybe you can teach me. I'll be a willing learner and maybe you can help me set up my telescope so that we could perhaps see some of the planets when you are here. The astromony club sounds so great! I think its a bargain at $45. Sounds like something you would enjoy a lot.
G-ma

1:31 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I'd love to help you set up your telescope, grandma...that would be neat. I'll have to research what planets will be visible when we're there.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when we would have sleep overs and take my brother's telescope across the street to the field and look at the moon?

~Kelly

7:25 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Kelly,

I totally remember that...now all we do is pay bills and work. Don't you ever wish you could go back to those simpler times??

Nikki

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What! You two are doing things now that you will call (the good old days). The trick is to keep making good old days while you enjoy the journey.
MOON

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Moon-dog, you're totally right. The journey is awesome. I love my life. Sometimes I just wish I could be 9 again and looking at the moon, ya know?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home